Kedarkantha Trek is a popular trek in Uttarakhand and is located in the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary. The height of the Kedarkantha trek is 12,500 ft. The Kedarkatha trek is considered to be one of the most famous winter treks in India. One of the main reasons for starting the Kedar Kantha trek is the climbing this trek. This trek is famous among the people while doing this trek you will see the peaks and snow-capped peaks.
The trails of the Kedarkantha go through the middle of the dense forests. This will make the Kedarkatha trek even more exciting as the trek gives you a 360-degree view of the snow-capped mountains and forest. The campsite of its trek gives a gorgeous view of sunset which becomes steeper and more difficult. But coming closer to the upper Himalayas, the view is as if the planet has changed.
How To Reach Kedarkantha?
By Air– Jolly Grant Airport of Dehradun is the nearest airport to Kedarkantha. The distance of Sankri (Kedarkantha) from Dehradun airport is just 200 km. From Dehradun, you can reach Sankri with the help of a Bus, Cab, and Shared Taxi. Dehradun airport is extremely well connected to major airports of India.
By Train– Haridwar, Rishikesh, and Dehradun railway stations are the nearest railway stations to Sankri (Kedarkantha). These railway stations are very well connected by rail to all the major cities of India. The nearest railway station is Dehradun Junction. You’ll get a direct bus from Dehradun to Sankri.
By Bus– There’s an immediate bus which goes from Dehradun to Sankari village (via Barkot to Purola to Netwar route). This bus reaches Sankri (Kedarkantha) at the proper time. It departs from Dehradun at 5:30 am and reaches at around 4:00 or 4:30 am.
Best Time To Visit Kedarkantha Trek:
The best time to do the Kedarkantha trek is from January to April, at this time we can enjoy this trek very well. Because at this time there is a lot of snow which was lying during winter, we get to see that snow between January to April. So this would be the best time to do the Kedarkantha trek. Avoid trekking in the rainy season because in the rainy season, due to excessive rain, slipperiness increases and it can be dangerous.
Some Facts Related To Kedarkantha Trek:
- Start/Endpoints: Sankari village
- Total distance: 20 km
- Maximum height: 12500 ft
- Difficulty level: Easy to moderate level
Things To Carry For Kedarkantha Trek:
- Kedarkantha is at a very high altitude, due to which the temperature here becomes very low during the night and has some important things on the trek which must be carried.
- Warm clothes like sweaters, warm socks, monkey cap, muffler, etc.
- Hiking shoes, Slippers, Snowshoes, Torch, Sunglasses, Sunscreen lotion, Lip balm, Tracking bag, Polybag, Walking stick, Raincoat.
- Camera, Extra battery, Power bank charger, Water bottle.
- Medicine including Headache, vomiting medicine, Moov spray, stomach pain, and volini spray, banded.
- Umbrellas may also be needed in Monsoon.
- Id proof, Photocopy for the formality of permit.
- Be sure to carry a good camera with you because nowhere else will you get a better opportunity to click pictures of snow-capped Himalayan peaks and lush green valleys.
Some Important Tips:
- Before starting the trekking, check the weather.
- Try to keep a load of your bag a maximum of 10-12 kg.
- If you are not experienced in trekking within the mountains, then you’ll take an area guide with you.
- Before starting the trek, confirm to urge information about the principles associated with the Kedar Kantha trek.
- Before starting the trek, do not forget to take information about the complete itinerary.
- Trekking during the monsoon season is usually avoided, especially for those that are new to trekking, because the region receives frequent rains which may cause cloudbursts, landslides and roadblocks. So be a touch extra careful during now.
- Do not choose the Kedarkatha trek alone unless you are accompanied by an experienced guide. Always try to do trekking in groups of two or more.